Find Bill
Find Your Legislator
Legislative Deadlines
RSS Feed Permanent URL -A +A

2012 Statute

Prev Article 8. - PUBLIC UTILITIESNext

12-826.Managing board of commissioners; payment of claims. The governing body of any city of the first or second class that owns a waterworks, fuel, power or lighting plant may provide by ordinance for the creation of a board of commissioners, and fix their salaries, which board shall operate said waterworks, fuel, power or lighting plant, or either, under such rules and regulations as the governing body may by ordinance prescribe. In cities of the first class said board shall be composed of not less than three nor more than five persons; in cities of second class said board shall be composed of three persons.

The bills incurred in operating said waterworks and light plants, itemized and verified as required by law in case of other claims against the city, shall be first presented to said board, and by said board tabulated and certified to the city council, monthly, or when directed by the council; and the council may, upon the allowance thereof, cause the warrant therefor to be issued to said board; the amounts thereof, however, to be held by the city treasurer and paid out to the several claimants on the written orders of said board, under the regulations of the council. The original claims, after the action of the council thereon, may, if the council so directs, be returned to and preserved by said board: Provided, however, That the council may by ordinance prescribe procedures for said board to process the bills incurred and make allowance for payment by warrant of the city drawn on the utility fund without approval and allowance by said council.

History: L. 1905, ch. 115, § 1; L. 1907, ch. 134, § 1; R.S. 1923, § 12-826; L. 1974, ch. 59, § 1; March 4.

Prev Article 8. - PUBLIC UTILITIESNext