Find Bill
Find Your Legislator
Legislative Deadlines
Nov. 30, 2020
RSS Feed Permanent URL -A +A

2012 Statute


76-1935a.Transfer of trust funds of deceased members and patients of home to general fund of agency; notice; claims; payment; limitations. The custodian of the members and patients trust fund at the Kansas soldiers' home shall notify the executive director of the Kansas veterans' commission of any moneys which are under the custodian's charge belonging to members who have died intestate, without known heirs or designated beneficiaries for funds on deposit, and the executive director shall publish a notice for two consecutive weeks in the Kansas register which shall state the name of each deceased member, their last known home address and the amount of the deposit remaining in the account of such former member; and such notice shall further state that unless interested persons appear and file a legitimate claim therefor within one year after the date of the last publication of such notice, said amount or amounts will be transferred to the general fees fund of the soldiers' home to help defray unrecovered costs connected with the maintenance and operation of the soldiers' home and for accounting, auditing, budgeting, legal, payroll, personnel and purchasing services which are performed on behalf of such agency by other state agencies.

Unless a party entitled thereto shall make claim within the time stated in the notice, the balance in any former member's fund as so published for which no claim is made as prescribed herein shall be transferred as hereinabove provided. Thereafter, unless a claim is filed with the veterans' commission within two years after such transfer is made, no claim may be made or filed for such former member's fund except that a person under legal disability during the two-year period may file a claim within one year after removal of the disability. The veterans' commission is hereby authorized to make payments to claimants it shall determine are entitled thereto, if such claims otherwise comply with the terms of this act; and such payments shall be authorized from the general fees fund of the Kansas soldiers' home to which the former members funds were transferred.

History: L. 1972, ch. 345, § 1; L. 1976, ch. 370, § 103; L. 1981, ch. 324, § 32; Jan. 1, 1982.

2020. Powered by KLISS. Rendered: 2020-11-30T23:28:23. Head Rev No: 345400