Find Bill
Find Your Legislator
Legislative Deadlines
April 18, 2024
RSS Feed Permanent URL -A +A

2023 Statute


65-171u.Liability for damages to environment; recovery by attorney general, when; disposition of damages recovered. As used in this act, "person" means any individual, company, corporation, institution, municipality, township, county, federal agency or legally constituted sewer district. Any person who violates any of the provisions of K.S.A. 65-161 to 65-171, inclusive, or any duty imposed therein or who violates an order or other determination of the secretary of health and environment or authorized representatives of such secretary made pursuant to the provisions of such sections, including the stipulations of conditions of a permit to discharge sewage, and, in the course thereof, causes the death of, or injury to, fish, animals, vegetation or other resources of the state whether natural or structural, or otherwise causes a reduction in the quality of the waters of the state below the standards set by the secretary of health and environment, thereby damaging the same, shall be liable to pay the state damages in an amount equal to the sum of money necessary to restock such waters, replenish or replace such resources and otherwise restore the stream, lake or other water source to its condition prior to the injury, as such condition is determined by the division of environment of the department of health and environment. Such damages shall not include damages to private rights or persons or damages to such person. If the person responsible for damage to resources fails to promptly submit payment for damages to resources of the state when notified in reasonable detail, then such damages shall be recoverable in an action brought by the attorney general on behalf of the people of the state of Kansas in the district court of the county in which such damages occurred. If damages occurred in more than one county the attorney general may bring action in any of the counties where the damages occurred. Any money so recovered by the attorney general shall be transferred to the agency of the state having jurisdiction over the resource damaged and for which said moneys were recovered, as appropriate. The agency receiving such money shall utilize the same on activities or projects to remedy the resources damaged. No action shall be authorized under this section against any person operating in compliance with the conditions of a waste discharge permit issued pursuant to K.S.A. 65-165.

History: L. 1979, ch. 269, § 1; July 1.

2024. Powered by KLISS. Rendered: 2024-04-18T21:50:28. Head Rev No: 749401(I)